Jan 14, 2016

Lebanon Encounter

Cedars in Shouf

My visit to beautiful amazing, diverse, and edgy Lebanon left memories and emotions that will stay with me the rest of my life but also established new friendships and collaborations that will enhance environmental research and conservation. I was supposed to travel to Lebanon Sunday evening but missed my flight at the trip from Bethlehem to Amman aoirport took 10 hours! But this gave me time to spend with our friend Prof. Zuhair Amr in Jordan who we publish much research together. I took the next flight to Beirut Monday morning and was met at airport by Dr. Mounir Abi Said who took me on a whirlwind tour of the Shouf mountains, its beautiful nature reserve with the ancient cedar trees. In the reserve we met with the reserve staff and manager and discussed collaborations. I then visited the American University in Beirut. I personally have never been there before but I almost could swear that I was there in a previous life.

 At AUB- Been there in another life?

My uncle Sana Atallah did both his bachelor and master degree at AUB in the 1960s and his summer visits to Palestine he would take me with him to the fields for nature walks and work. I was only a child and I remember the beauty of nature but not much else from that time. It is what made me follow in his footsteps and start my own collection of objects of nature immediately after he died in a car accident in 1970 (shortly after he finished his PhD).  I literally followed in his footsteps, took care of part of his collection that was here in Palestine and did graduate studies in the same US university where he studied. But having never been to AUB (a university that literally shaped his short life), I was very emotional. My mind raced as we stepped into the old natural history museum and I saw the mammal collection that Uncle Sana and His mentor Robert Lewis collected. I could almost smell and feel and hear those two great people and wished I could have been their student at AUB. An old statue and an old bench gave me shivers as I felt that surely I must have been here before. A mixture of sadness, happiness, nostalgia, wishful thinking and more swept through my mind in ways hard to put down in writing.
 Specimens collected in Palestine by Sana Atallah, now at AUB

After meeting with a few people at AUB, I went to visit a project started by Dr. Mounir and his wife Dr. Diana to rescue animals captured or injured by hunters. They rehabilitate them and release some while keeping some for environmental education for children (see http://www.animalencounter.org/ ). Unlike other environmental awareness facilities in our region, this one is run by experts based on scientific principles. They initially started it in their home and then the municipality gave them land to do this on. We also started the Palestine Museum of Natural History at our house and then moved to Bethlehem University Mar Andrea campus. So we connected in Lebanon with colleagues like Mounir and Diana on so many levels. We now must start joint research and development projects.


  
Mounir and friendly Hyaen and wolves at Animal Encounter

Representing Bethlehem University, I joined other colleagues from other universities in Palestine, Jordan, and Lebanon for a conference in Tuesday at the Lebanese university dealing with European funding under the Jean Monnet program. It was a good opportunity to lean and to network. I took time in the evening to walk around Al-Hamra area of Beirut. I was saddened to see how electricity is off in Beirut just like in Gaza (6 hours on, 6 hours off). I was saddened to see many women with children begging to sell gum on the side of streets like Al-Hamra street.

 Trash piled up in Beirut as the country goes without a President and contending parties blame each other (Young man there was collecting garbage for reccycling).
 Al-Hamra street (busy commercial street but hotels and businesses depend on generators at night)

Lebanon, like Palestine, is such a beautiful rich country but its political leaders do not seem to get their act together. Being divided into sometimes intermixing and sometimes contending communities is not a bad thing if you think in terms of a healthy diverse human communities just like a health diverse ecosystem (many species competing, conflicting, sometimes cooperating). It is fertile ground for innovation and Lebanon has lots of innovative smart people. For example (among many), I met brilliant researchers and teachers like Dr. Mounir (mammals), Dr. Dany Azar (Paleontology), Dr. Efat Abu-Fakhr (Crop Protection and Entomology) and many more. Like in Palestine, we just need to collect all those good people in networks to better help young talent to grow and promote collaboration and healthy but not destructive competition. Our museum motto is RESPECT (for ourselves, for others, for nature). I found so many good Lebanese and Palestinians who do have that respect and thus are able to make a positive impact in their/our societies.  By giving of themselves they build their character and have a very productive career.  By devoting ourselves to things bigger than ourselves we also have personal growth and success. Being selfish or self-centered will only diminish us. Anyone close to death can tell you what they regret most in life and what they appreciate more in life and it is never that they wish they had made more money or ate more food or had a bigger house; instead they wish they gave more and took care of others more. I am inspired and energized by this visit.

I am back in Palestine now where martyrs are still falling (three the day before I returned) and where thousands of political prisoners languish in Israeli gulags. This is where checkpoints and walls rule. Where Israel even banned "Breaking the Silence" (an Israeli group of soldiers and ex soldiers who tell about the crimes they wee ordered to commit). But this one land refusing to be divided continues to build and where good things still happen.  For example here at the museum grounds (Bethlehem University), we have a dozen individuals at the museum (9 of them from Gaza with permits facilitated through GIZ) learning about aquaponics!  They are good energetic people and good energetic instructor (Philip) who want to improve life in Gaza by growing plants and fish !!  

Things have piled up for me to take care of including several deadlines for proposals and publications. I also teach several courses this semester including: cultural and eco-tourism for Masar Ibrahim, research and writing, and anthropology for the master in Hotel Management and tourism (all at Bethlehem University), research tools and peacemaking courses (at Bethlehem Bible College master program in conflict resolution), and biodiversity at the master program in Environmental Biology (at Birzeit University). Join us to be part of a growing team for nature and for Palestine.  Since my last email a week ago asking for signing up to our network of supporters and volunteers, over 110 people signed up from around the world. To reiterate:  We now have an integrated system for research and education to address areas in need in Palestine: healthcare, environment, and agriculture (especially permaculture).  We have dozens of volunteers and we are grateful to all volunteers and donors but we can accelerate our progress with more of YOUR help and thus accomplish much more. So look over our website (http://palestinenature.org) and fill out this form http://goo.gl/forms/Z7nmOGFC9i (if you have difficulty email us at info@palestinenature.org)  to tell us you can help from your location (any and all countries including Palestine). Tentative name is “Network for Palestine Nature” (your suggestions on name would be appreciated). Thank you for your kind support.

Come visit us http://palestinenature.org

21 comments:

  1. The BMNH educational program you offer has such a variety of life important studies that reminds me of a fertile soil with all this diversity
    of fauna and flora: from alternative electricity supply to eco-tourism and from aquaponics to conflict resolution. These are the subjects we will need urgently in the future. Thank you Dr. Qumsiyeh for your future oriented educational program

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word here is "law". It's what a scientist searches for. In Lebanon, they seem to have laws but Article 24, which assigns half of Parliament to the (one quarter?) Christian population, makes it even less a rule-of-law state then Israel with its clear Jewish-supremacy state. So who cares what the law is? Even if you had it perfectly spelled out--say, about this cedar cone's design--that bunch of words is at best a reminder of the continuing adventure and at worst a total distraction--for words take on lives of their own, whether in poetic heights or prejudiced depths.
    What do you say to the poor farmer whose olive tree just got blown up?
    Okay, what does he say to you? You'd better be doing your very best, for somewhere there is a great lawgiver who is keeping track, as sure as this cedar tree stands before us in its majesty. Or this olive tree in its misery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good, thanks Dr. Mazin
    from Nazek Dhamra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mazin.... I love reading your at times poetic personal reflections... not to discount the importance of facts and information. Continue to share. Chris Faisandier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Mazin, your energy and lust for life is indefatigable.
    I saw my name in the BU Foundation annual catalog! And i will continue to send what i can ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prof. Qumsiya your work is highly appreciated, thanks a million for giving real picture for Palestine to researchers all over the world, go ahead we like your work for Palestine....

    ReplyDelete
  7. stay as you want to be for your country,family, and your self....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressing Mazin
    Good idea to include the posts in a blog instead of putting it in the email body.
    Photos give a good add to the text,. It might be a good idea to include at least one teaser photo in your email to encourage more people to click the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good reading .Humans are lucky to enjoy nature and man made comforts.Political leaders all over world are problem creators and public is at receiving end .We need to be more humans to harmonize the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONTACT: reputablehacker@gmail.com
    -Find Out If Your Spouse (Husband/Wife) or Partner (Boyfriend/Girlfriend) Is Cheating On You?
    -Let Us Help You Hack Any Portal Or Database To Get Live Questions For Any Examination Before The Examination
    -Change Your Grades Or Hack Into Any University Portal
    -Hack Email; Mobile Phones; Whatsapp; Text Messages; Call Logs; Facebook And Other Social Media Accounts
    ReputableHacker Will Get The Job Done For You
    reputablehacker@gmail.com
    TESTED AND TRUSTED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is real I have confirmed it, contact boschhacklord@gmail.com for your hack issues ranging from bank hacks, University Grades change, Email and phone hack for text, whatsapp imessages, call logs,Gps tracking and lots more. He provides proof and he's affordable trust me he's real tell him you were referred by isaac peters (yale university). His name is Derick a computer Engineer and a genius for a fact you can alsoreach him through Tor chat: phlfimnrb2pochwx / boschhacklord or text him on +1(205) 900-9736..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey guys, my name is Imelda Daher from Philippines but reside in America i am very happy that i was able to be online last week when Janet posted on YouTube that she has finally gotten what she wanted for her marriage life after all the stress she went through trying to hack into our husbands phone herself.. So after that I decided to try and see if it’s gonna work or still the same thing I see online everyday so I contacted Michael as i was referred to by Janet to his email which I did and got his direct telephone number as well too and believe me he did a good job for me that I was shocked when I got the information I needed that my dear husband for 10 year of marriage has a baby mama in Sweden. thanks to Michael Lawson for this great job even if it’s gonna break my home its better than been fooled for the rest of my life. lawsonmichael33@yahoo.com by Janet and he did a good and fast job for me in less than 48hrs...he made available phone hack, chat histories, present chats and future chats...You can also contact him for all sorts of mobile hacking jobs like he told me. Good luck to everyone who really wanna work with him and put a stop to the entire nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow i never thought i will happy in my life ever again, i want you all to thank DR OGUDUGU of GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM, he is a father that takes care of his children the spell caster of our time, he has saved me from a very ugly situation that almost made my life miserable and i want you all to thank him for me,my husband and i have be married for so many years now with children and the relationship was being threatened by a small girl in his working place,she was almost destroying my home i met so many spell casters but to no avail until i met a friend who came from africa and she told me about DR OGUDUGU, and i decided to contact him and try him out as i was losing faith in all spell casters, but he told not to worry that now am in his temple everything will be alright he assured me 100% that his spell has no side effects and that it will work straight and save my home and my marriage and after he has performed the sacrifices and casted the spell, my husband came back to us with love and affection and he loved us more and more and he never looked back or none did his love for me waiver, if you are also experiencing this sort of your situation in your home, if your husband is drifting away, if you are experiencing a broken home or you have lost your husband to a young woman outside there then look no further help is here as GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM is ready to help you out okay for any of your problem is it financial needs, revenge spell, job spell, promotion spell what kind of spell do you need DR OGUDUGU is going to solve it for you okay i have promised him to always talk of his good works to the world in general and to any body who cares to listen, you can email him on his personal email on or GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM and he will attend to you as soon as possible okay once again his email is or GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM OR call +2348142250751 Thank you great father your daughter Precious Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your very best to hire only professionals. hyperhacktive1@gmail.com will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the dark.
    contact; hyperhacktive1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. HELP ALERT!

    Hello,My name is Ewan magic of "Ewan herbalmagic temple" i welcome you all to the great Ewan spiritual temple of solution to all your problems, I practices white magic and a mixture of African traditional medicine, spiritualism,psychic powers, rituals,native healing, spell casting, all of which are designed to take care of whatever adversity you may be facing,my mission is ensure that good prevails over evil and to ensure that all those that come in contact with me have peace of mind, success and happiness". It’s against the principles of the magic I practices to charge my customers so I don’t charge my customers for my help but I accept voluntary offering, I have a proven track record, having honed my skills from experiences and tradition passed down through the centuries from my forefathers I have divine powers that enable me connect oracle in spiritual life and my ancestors and they always give me guidance and provide solution to my customers problems so if you are having problems in life and want any of the following or more, then you are in the right place just specify your problems and what you want I will make consultations and find solutions to your problems...


    /Do you want solutions to money problems?
    /Do you want solutions to marital problems?
    /Do you want solution to childless? / Do you want solution to physical or health problems?
    /Do you want solution to problem in family relations?
    /Do you business growing from strength to strength? / Attraction of clients for your business.
    /Do you always have bad dreams?
    /Do you want to be promoted in your office?
    /Do you want your husband/wife to be yours forever?
    /Have you been scammed and you want to recover your lost money?
    /DO you want to win lottery,
    /ETC.

    Once again thanks for your trust & patronage,I assure you that you are in the right place to get your heart desires just specify what you want and I assure you that my great oracle will grant your heart desires within 3-7 days.you will be happy knowing me as your spiritual father.

    NOTE:Ewan herbalmagic's contacts:- email: ewanherbalmagic@gmail.com OR Text and call me on +1(562)242-0796.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks to smith he made me find a solution to my cheating spouse i have been so worried and i got in contact with cyberphoneways@gmail.com and texted them at +16066579237 they helped me out i am so grateful i saw all her messages on my phone it was like a magic to me thought all hackers are scammers but this company is real and they are professionals they carry you along as they work on your job contact them now if you are in any need of the service of an hacker in any kind of hacking jobs such as:Grade changes,office files,private mails,messenger and chat .....

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks to smith he made me find a solution to my cheating spouse i have been so worried and i got in contact with cyberphoneways@gmail.com and texted them at +16066579237 they helped me out i am so grateful i saw all her messages on my phone it was like a magic to me thought all hackers are scammers but this company is real and they are professionals they carry you along as they work on your job contact them now if you are in any need of the service of an hacker in any kind of hacking jobs such as:Grade changes,office files,private mails,messenger and chat .....

    ReplyDelete
  18. MUST READ: HOW I GOT CURED FROM ALS DISEASE) I am from U.S.A and my name is Clara Wilson. I was diagnosed of ALS disease (Lou Gehrig’s disease) in 2013 and I have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, my life was gradually coming to an end, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from Africa who prepares herbal cure to cure HIV/AIDS and all kind of diseases including ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Gonorrhea etc, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email,(dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com), he prepared an ALS herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 7 days, I could not walk or talk understandably before but after i took the herbal cure as he instructed i regained strength in my bones and i could talk properly unlike before, I am now free from the deadly disease, all thanks to Dr.ezomo Contact this great herbal doctor via his email dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have used Cyberhacksolutions quite a numberof times and he has never disappointed me..He does all types of mobile hack;get unrestricted and unnoticeable access to your partner/spouse/anybodies facebook account,email,watsapp,textmessages.He also makes changes in any database/website such as your college/university grades..Getting the job done is as simple as sending an email or text (CYBERHACKSOLUTIONS@GMAIL.COM) or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

    ReplyDelete
  20. 11 YEARS & SIX MONTHS OF BARRENESS TERMINATED BY A GREAT SPELL CASTER

    I'm Mrs May Dawson,and i have come to return all the glory to this great spell caster called Priest Oni, for the breakthrough he showered on me.I have been married for the the past 11years and 6months. When i got married,i thought i will give birth quickly but i didn't know it would be a different story.A friend told me about this great man and how he had helped a lot of persons. Then i said to myself i have gone to so many places for help and back but no solution but will not let go of this great man until i give birth to my own child.Then i contacted him ,i told him my situation,he laughed and told me that all my tears and worries are over now that i have found him.Then i knew my testimony had come,he then told me what to bring for him,which i did and he cast me spell and that was it.I have come to this forum with my own beautiful baby girl and to let everyone know that Priest Oni is too faithful to fail,Thank you Priest Oni.Do contact Priest Oni today on email (oniherbalmagic@gmail.com OR Text and call me on +23409072805812.,for Your own encounter awaits you too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse...in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met cyberhacksolutions@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone (CYBERHACKSOLUTIONS@GMAIL.COM) or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

    ReplyDelete