Mar 5, 2013

Rethinking South Africa


I did some research with South African scientists on gerbils and had worked briefly in the 1980s against apartheid in South Africa.  I have also been talking and reading about South Africa for the past thirty years as a model for Israel/Palestine.  I should have also listened to my own advice when I speak about Palestine: come and see because no amount of reading and talking to people outside would substitute for visiting the country itself and immersing one’s body, mind, and soul in a country.  So I am rethinking South Africa.  I was shocked and dismayed at some of what I saw but I was inspired by the people.  Witnessing the miseries of slums like Diepsloot (lit. Deep Ditch) and Soweto (South West Township), I realize that apartheid is not ended here but mainly changed shape and this provides us with lots of lessons for Palestinian struggle against Israeli apartheid. 

The conference included 50 representatives from some 20 countries to discuss how to bring the world closer to peace and justice and for this meeting to be in South Africa. Its guiding principles include recognizing the connection between ecology, economics and ecumenical (all based on Greek root oikos meaning house).  Getting our house in order as human beings is important.  In recognizing that an economy based on theological principles entails caring about people and our environment and living a spirituality of resistance and transformation.

But before the formal meeting began, we were given tours of places like the Apartheid Museum, the Voortrekker monument, the Freedom Park, the Diepsoot Township/settlement, and Mandela’s house.  At the Apartheid Museum we were painfully reminded of all the suffering and indignity of the era.  The killings, economic injustice, and human rights violations were then rampant as they are today in Palestine (the apartheid state of Israel).  But we are also reminded of the struggling human spirit that seeks justice and freedom. The compromises that Mandela made with the white leadership and his attempts to be inclusive and forgiving is prominently displayed. But his earlier statements are also visible as at the entrance “For to be free is not merey to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”  This is line with Mandela’s statement that freedom in South Africa will not be complete unless Palestine is also free. Ofcourse to fit with the world structure, he had to modify his views that Zionism is racism.  Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan is now receiving similar pressures because he told the truth that Zionism is a crime against humanity. 


In January 1985, Mandela was offered release on the condition that he renounces violence.  He refused writing to the people in a letter that “Only Free Men can negotiate. Prisoners cannot enter into contract…. I will not sell the birthright of my people to be free.”   He insisted that he be released unconditionally and demanded that apartheid be ended before the ANC negotiated.  Only free men can negotiate. Pressure built-up on the Apartheid regime via a growing local resistance aided by an international BDS movement.  F W DeKlerk explained to fellow Apartheid supporters that the writing is on the wall and that South Africa should avoid the fate of “Rhodesia”.  Mandela did not fall into the trap of negotiations while apartheid persisted but he assured the whites of flexibility after apartheid ended and indeed whites kept their privileged class to this day. That was t many ANC supporters a “sell out”.  But it was a far less compromise than the PLO leadership agreeing to negotiate while we Palestinians remained imprisoned under the colonial apartheid system.  Hence the real meaning of the Oslo process is the 20 years negotiations between prisoners and prison guards (instead of what happened in South Africa where within a span of 3 years negotiations between a freed people and apartheid symbols, the remaining issues were resolved).  These and other lessons can be learned from the (ongoing) struggle in South Africa.

We learned by talking to people of all backgrounds that he struggle here in South Africa is not complete. Voting apartheid ended in law but economic, cultural, social and truth apartheids still stand. We visited the Voortrecker Monument dedicated to a battle that happened 16 December 1838 where white colonial settlers killed the native people.  But that is not what the white tour guide described it.  To her, “pioneers” signed treaties with Zulu ciefs, were betrayed by Zulus who “murdered” white pioneers!  Whites on their march to the interior of the continent (the voortrekers) circled their wagons when danger came ! Actually the monument has carving of 64 circled wagons around it.   To this day white and ony white South Africans gather in the monument every December 16 to honor that pledge made by their ancestors nearly 100 years ago to thank the lord for allowing them to vanguish their enemies in the promised land as they advanced the "light of civilization in the dark continent".  Theology of  The carved reliefs and the guide show a white democratically elected educated civilized “leader” Retief facing the evil superstitious Zulu king Dingane. That is when a few of us “colored”/black vistors decided we had enough of this tour.  


The rich still get richer and the poor get poorer; 0.1% of the world population hold  81% of the wealth and the ratio of poverty to wealthy statistic went from 3:1 in 1820 to 35:1 in 1950 to nearly 80:1 today.   Sometimes liberation movements fall into the trap of power.  Many of those we met commented on how some members of ANC who came into government jobs at the end of Apartheid got spoiled by the material goods (houses, cars, bank account) that they forgot about the struggling people in the townships and the slums near the glittering skyscrapers. The tallest building in Johannesburg is the Reserve Bank!  My tears rolled as we passed by townships that are teaming with poor people because they reminded me of refugee camps in Lebanon, in Jordan, and in Palestine. The most heart-wrenching was Diepsloot where 250,000 human beings live in shacks with sheat metal roofing.  Here we visited “Vuselela Ulwazi Lwakho Drop-in Center” (vuselela-ulwazi.org, founded by one woman nurse) where hundreds come weekly for counseling and treatment for AIDS (now a horrific pandemic in Africa).  I peaked into a hall and noticed nearly 100 children crammed together – they are the AIDS orphans who lost their parents to the disease (and a few other orhans).  I contrast these images of man-made poverty and disease with the posh gated communities of upwardly mobile mostly white South Africans.  It is like contrasting the posh life of the colonial Jewish setters in Palestine with the life in refugee camps. But the hope of the workers and users of this and other facilities show us how the goodness among humans can spread.



Ronnie Kasrils, South African minister once said about Palestine: “This is much worse than apartheid..Israeli measures, the brutality, make apartheid look like a picnic.  We never had Jets attacking our townships; we never had sieges that lasted months after months.  We never had tanks destroying houses.”  Archbishop Desmond Tutu, a Nobel Peace Prie winner who headed the Truth and Reconciliation Committee said Israel has established an apartheid system and thus has engaged in crimes against humanity.  Both support the Boycotts, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement.

Our conference of activists learned lessons from each other and we rededicated ourselves to a joint global struggle.  This is something we have been calling for as a global intifada against oppression, colonialism, and the neoliberal capitalist world order that makes the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  In visiting the freedom park we saw workers putting names on the wall of those who lost their lives for freedom.  Already 4300 names are on that wall (out of lists that could go up to 80,000).  One day, we will build a wall like that in Palestine to remember the 60,000 Palestinian martyrs. These are not numbers but real people.
Arafat Jaradat died being tortured by the Israeli Apartheid  regime last week and he was 30 years old.  Steve Biko died while being tortured by the Souh African Apartheid  regime in 1977 and he was 31 years old. The two struggles are intertwined. The perceptive words of Steve Biko ring true today in Palestine, in South Africa, and around the world: “The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.”  We the oppressed must free our minds from mental colonization before we liberate our body.  We are then really free to work for peace, justice, and freedom. This cannot be achieved without sacrifices/without revolution.

The wisdom of the Zulu is striking as is their spirit of defiance.  We listened to the music played by young people and as we chatted with elders who all gave us hope for the future.  We learned to sing Hayo Matata (no worries) and to say Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu (a person is a person because of others). The latter reminded me of Vittorio Arrigoni’s constant admonition to us to “stay human”.  To be human is to care about others, struggle for freedom and justice in a world of injustice.  Come to think of it to be human is then to be revolutionary!

Zionism explained by a settler
                                                                                                                                                           
Action: Join activists from all backgrounds to challenge AIPAC influence in Washington  DC. Visit

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. “ Amen!

19 comments:

  1. There is even a theology of science: to say that this thing (this gerbil, say) exists is to say that it does not need my approval and in fact it has authority over me. Zionism, all racism, is an attempt to "build a castle in the clouds like a neurotic, and then to live in it like a psychotic". So we have a duty to racists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr ohunyom herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. My name is Mary Lora  ,I just want to share this article about Dr ohunyom who helped me, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR ohunyom, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar , Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR ohunyom cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative, I pray to God to never let me and my family forget you in our life,i am now cured permanently.you can also get your self cured, if you really need this dr's help,you can reach him now email:drohunyom@gmail. com Or whats app +2349060579973
      This is real,
      He also has herbal cure for the Following DISEASES, eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer ETC

      Delete
    2. I was cured of HIV with the used of natural herbs. My name is celina jolly
      and am from US. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are
      just a waste of time. I was cured 8months ago, i suffered from HIV for
      13yrs but with the help of Dr. voodoo herbal medicine, i was cured within
      few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through courier delivery
      service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from herpes, as soon as i
      heard she had herpes, i quickly refer her to Dr. voodoo and she was cured
      too after drinking his herbs.I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr.
      voodoo and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken
      herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs,injections,surgeries
      etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. voodoo now,
      he is a herbalist doctor, i assured you of a cure if you drink his natural
      herbs. Dr. voodoo have herbs that cures HIV, Herpes, diabetics, asthma,
      hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr voodoo through his
      Email address on: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WHATSAP/CALL
      him on +2348140120719 Please share the good news to other people once you are cured

      Delete
    3. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

      Delete
  2. I pointed out's Turkey's PM's truthful statement too on my blog which I wanted to add to my membership profile that I had forgotten didn't have it listed. I've been running a mostly anti-Zionist blog for years now at: http://steve-lewis.blogspot.com/ and just wanted Mazim's members to know this as it didn't show in my profile blog links.

    The U.N.'s head's reaction to Erogen's truth is scary because it shows how deep the influence of Zionists goes, right into the heart of what should be a majority U.N. membership voice raised against Zionist racist aggression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.change.org/petitions/esperanto-ne-estu-ilo-de-komplico-en-diskriminacio-kaj-subpremo-ne-organizu-internaciajn-kongresojn-en-israelo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is real take it serious, who will believe that herbs can cure HIV, i never believed that this will work, i have spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man who is well known to have HIV, herpes, cancer and many other cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV disease in my body, he prepare the herbal medicine for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, i drank the herbal medicine for three weeks, after then i went to the hospital for a check up, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to another hospital it was also comfirmed to be negative, then i took my friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr EMUA , after the treatment she was also confirm negative . He also have the herbs for many sickness, i want everyone who is sick to contact DR EMUA that is why am dropping his email address, do contact him he is a great man. the government is also interested in this DR EMUA herbal medicine, that's why his herbal medicine are all rigistered, thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify for your good work. contact him through his email dremuahelphome@outlook.com or dremuahelphome@gmail.com for easy and fast communication you can also call or add him on whats-app with this number +2347063628174

    ReplyDelete

  5. I had my first outbreak of oral herpes nearly 2 years ago. Of all the horridness, the pain and itching were unbearable. I literally freaked out as my general physician said that it had no cure. The outbreaks were not that frequent initially, but every time I'd fall sick, it would resurface. I had so many sores last year that I was desperate to try anything to get rid of them. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try Mama Anita I looked up their site and indeed they have had immense success with their product. They also have some research going on for an ingredient. I quickly ordered the product and started using it. I'm so relieved to say that I've not had even one outbreak for a 8 month now. Moreover, I'm feeling great from within. I truly endorse this product, it really work,You can contact her now on email... (mamaanita.lovespellsolution@gmail.com) mamaanita.lovespellsolution@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2348164728160 thank you sir for healing me from HIV

    ReplyDelete
  7. i Thank God will continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you are doing in peoples life, I will keep on writng and posting testimonies about you on the Internet, I’m jennifer I was a HPV patient, I saw a blog on how Dr. omohan cured someone, I contacted him and also got my healing, kindly email him now on dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348164816038 God we bless you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read some testimonies about a love spell caster by DR LOVE on how he has helped lots of people in bringing back their ex lovers within 48hours, Sincerely I was just thinking if that was real and if this man could really help bring back my lover whom I love so much. I decided to contact him because I love my boyfriend very much and we have been apart for a couple of months I really missed him so much, I have tried all other means to get him back but couldnt.I contacted DR LOVE and he told me that my ex will come back to me in the next 48 hours,DR LOVE released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to picture how much we have share together. My ex is now back to me again.As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my boyfriend is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up.All thanks goes to DR LOVE for the excessive work that he has done for me by helping me to get back with my ex boyfriend. I would like to drop DR LOVE mail address and hope you see this testimony and contact him if you have a lover that you really want back so badly, His mail:drlovetemple@gmail.com or whatsapp number +2349031349407

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finding a true love spell was like a nightmare to me,I have paid over $1650 to different spell caster that never work,Until I meet Mrs Okojie.please if you are looking for a real and fast result love spell then she is the answer,you can contact her now on. mrsokojiehealinghomeforall@gmail.com
    (mrsokojiehealinghomeforall@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will love to share my testimony to you all the people in world i got married to my husband about 2 year ago we start having problems at home like we stop sleeping on the same bed,fighting about little things he always comes home late at night,drinking too much and sleeping with other women out side i have never love any man in my life except him. he is the father of my child and i don't want to loose him because we have worked so hard together to become what we are and have today .few month ago he now decided to live me and the kid,being a single mother can be hard sometimes and so i have nobody to turn to and i was heart broken.i called my mom and explain every thing to her,my mother told me about DR.azen how he helped her solve the problem between her and my dad i was surprise about it because they have been without each other for three and a half years and it was like a miracle how they came back to each other. i was directed to DR. azen on his email. (azentemple@gmail.com ) and explain everything to him,so he promise me not to worry that he will cast a spell and make things come back to how we where so much in love again and that it was another female spirit that was controlling my husband he told me that my problem will be solved within two days if i believe i said OK So he cast a spell for me and after two days my love came back asking me to forgive him i Am so happy now. so that why i decided to share my experience with every body that have such problem contact Dr azen the great spell caster on his email addresses (azentemple@gmail.com)or whatsapp Dr azen on (+2349038299828)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i will love to share my testimony to you all the people in world i got married to my husband about 2 year ago we start having problems at home like we stop sleeping on the same bed,fighting about little things he always comes home late at night,drinking too much and sleeping with other women out side i have never love any man in my life except him. he is the father of my child and i don't want to loose him because we have worked so hard together to become what we are and have today .few month ago he now decided to live me and the kid,being a single mother can be hard sometimes and so i have nobody to turn to and i was heart broken.i called my mom and explain every thing to her,my mother told me about DR.azen how he helped her solve the problem between her and my dad i was surprise about it because they have been without each other for three and a half years and it was like a miracle how they came back to each other. i was directed to DR. azen on his email. (azentemple@gmail.com ) and explain everything to him,so he promise me not to worry that he will cast a spell and make things come back to how we where so much in love again and that it was another female spirit that was controlling my husband he told me that my problem will be solved within two days if i believe i said OK So he cast a spell for me and after two days my love came back asking me to forgive him i Am so happy now. so that why i decided to share my experience with every body that have such problem contact Dr azen the great spell caster on his email addresses (azentemple@gmail.com)or whatsapp Dr azen on (+2349038299828)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr ohunyom herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. My name is Mary Lora  ,I just want to share this article about Dr ohunyom who helped me, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR ohunyom, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar , Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR ohunyom cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative, I pray to God to never let me and my family forget you in our life,i am now cured permanently.you can also get your self cured, if you really need this dr's help,you can reach him now email:drohunyom@gmail. com Or whats app +2349060579973
    This is real,
    He also has herbal cure for the Following DISEASES, eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer ETC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 12 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr maggi and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: drmaggiherbalhome@gmail.com or +1(917) 979-6387.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
      has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
      him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
      cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
      WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
      voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

      Delete
  14. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natural herbs have cured so many illness that drugs and injection cant
    cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful
    work they have done in people's lives. i read people's testimonies online
    on how they were cured of herpes, HIV, diabetics etc by Dr. voodoo herbal
    medicine, so i decided to contact the doctor because i know nature has the
    power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with HIV for the past 7 years but
    Dr. voodoo cured me with his herbs and i referred my aunt and her husband
    to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes but to God
    be the glory, they were cured too .I know is hard to believe but am a
    living testimony. There is no harm trying herbs. He is also a spell caster,
    he cast spell to restore broken marriages and he cast good luck spells to
    prosper and excel in life. Contact Dr voodoo on Whatsapp or call him
    +2348140120719 OR email him voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete